Carlisle Postcards

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Carlisle Canal and the 1910 Election


This is the front and reverse of an election card sent out in 1910 to solicit support for Mr. Claude Lowther. Lowther supported the policy of protectionism for certain trades against foreign imports. The reverse of the card shows what he thinks the effect of 'free trade' will be, lost jobs and destitution.

The card is for Carlisle, voting at Morley St. School.

These 3 cards are pencil drawings of Carlisle Canal in 1835 by J.W. Carmichael.

The canal was opened in 1823 and ran from Fishers Cross (renamed Port Carlisle) to the canal basin in Caldewgate, where Port Road Business Park is now.

Clues to the canals existence can still be found in names such as Canal Street and The Jovial Sailor pub.

The canal closed in 1853, killed by the coming of the 'iron horse'.

For further reading see D. Ramshaws 'Carlisle Navigational Canal 1821-1853'.


Post a Comment

<< Home